FC4 installer switching to garbled video after /sbin/loader

I'm having a problem installing FC4 on a machine with an "Integrated
VIA UniChrome AGP Graphics with MPEG-2 Accelerator" graphics adapter.

I start up with "linux text" to enter text-mode installation, the
kernel starts and I see information about the hardware, and then just
after /sbin/loader loads, the screen changes video mode into something
that is all garbled. When the text installer starts, I can make out
the colours, but cannot read any text as it is shaking and garbled.
I've also tried booting up with vga=ask passed the kernel, picking a
standard 80x25 vga mode.

Is there any way to have /sbin/loader NOT switch video modes? If it
would just stay in the same mode as when the kernel starts up, I'd be
fine.

Thanks,

Patrick