Re: How does one install kernel*.src.rpm ?

--On Monday, October 24, 2005 8:08 AM -0500 akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I  agree with that but why exactly do you want to procedd a source rpm
to get a source rpm. Are  you assumeing a change in the spec file along
the way.

It's more an issue of file management. Say I download the FC4 kernel SRPM. I want to know where I got it from, so I put it in a directory that identifies the source, eg. download/Fedora/4/updates. Files in SRPMS are ones I created through rpmbuild, as opposed to ones I downloaded.

I grab source RPM's either because I want to rebuild them tuned to what I have on my system (via the embedded invocation of configure in the spec file) or because I want to customize the build by editing the spec file. For instance, I might want a custom kernel with a different config or an additional patch.

I also grab source RPM's to debug problems, by unpacking and "prep'ing" (via "rpmbuild -bp") the sources and then grepping the sources for the error message I'm getting. I can then inspect the program logic to see why I'm getting that error message.