Re: What does it mean ?????

Philip Prindeville wrote:
Rex Dieter wrote:

Franck Y wrote:

I don t know waht does this thing mean.....like the "get_peer_addr "

Can you excplain me thk you

Oct 20 13:41:09 constellation smbd[3927]: [2005/10/20 13:41:09, 0]
lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1150)
Oct 20 13:41:09 constellation smbd[3927]:   getpeername failed. Error
was Transport endpoint is not connected

getpeername failed => failed DNS/hostname lookup.

-- Rex

No, that would be gethostbyaddr().  getpeername() is a system call
that looks for the address of the other side (the remove side) of an
association or socket pair.

Of course, if you're using connectionless sockets (i.e. datagrams),
then it won't return an endpoint...  For that, you'd have to use
recvfrom() and note the endpoint from individual requests.

-Philip

OK guys, I've been following this thread, because I've had this error pop up for years. Initially I tried to look it up and fix it. I could never find the true answer and it didn't affect my samba so I ignored it.

However, it seems that now you guys actually know what this error means. You've given a technical (programmers?) perspective of what has happened.

Is there any chance you can convert that to lamens terms?

i.e. Does anyone know how to get rid of the error message or how my configuration for samba is wrong?

P.S. I've had this configuration for samba more or less since RH 5.2 (meaning I changed things as samba changed). This error did not show up till RH9 or Fedora 1 from memory. It's probably caused by something deprecated or the like in my smb.conf, but do we have any idea what?

Regards,
Ed.
begin:vcard
fn:Edward Dekkers
n:Dekkers;Edward
org:Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.;Management
adr:;;822 Rowley Road;Oakford;WA;6121;Australia
email;internet:edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Mr.
tel;work:(08) 9397-1040
tel;fax:(08) 9397-0749