Re: OT: www.linux.org

Fritz Whittington wrote:

On or about 2005-10-19 17:46, jludwig pulled out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 15:42, taharka wrote:
Any one here know whats up with their site? There has been no access for
the past couple of days, but the site responds to pings :-(

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

I had issues with some sites a while ago. It turned out to be a poisoned DNS server lookup table.

Oops just tired it --- putting in linux.org failed, but http://www.linux.org did not!!!
Yes, note the different IPs returned by pinging linux.org and www.linux.org. A lot of people just don't type the "www" part, because if you just type the "linux.org" part and it's not found, then the browser automatically prepends "www." and trys again. Also, many sites have the "www.abc.xyz" in DNS point to the same server as "abc.xyz". However, in this case, linux.org returns a valid IP address, there just isn't a web server there, so nothing happens...

Well, I still can't get to the site, no matter what address I use :-(

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.