Re: resize /boot partition

Marcin Struzak wrote:
At 12:03 PM -0700 10/10/05, Marcin Struzak wrote:

I am using Fedora Core 3 and Grub, and need to resize my /boot partition.

1) Can it be done "on-the-fly", i.e., without destroying the fs?  What

tool

can be used for that (parted complains about incompatible feature

enabled)?

I would boot from something else (rescue CD, installer CD; others will say
Knoppix) and do the work there.  I have enough free space on my /

partition

to copy all of /boot's 100 MB onto it and copy it back.  I have never done
this.

Resizing on the fly will (presumably) leave the bootstrap intact; if I copy
everything out, blow away the partition, and recreate it to my liking, just
copying the files back into it would not make the new partition bootable.
In LILO days you would just rerun lilo.  Anyone knows what needs to be done
if using Grub?

One possibility is to copy out the portion of the MBR which contains
the code, leaving out the PT. Then re-partition, and recopy.

Something like:

# dd -if=/dev/hda -of=/media/floppy/mbr.bin bs=1 count=448
# fdisk ...
# dd -if=/media/floppy/mbr.bin -of=/dev/hda bs=1 count=448

But as you say, the MBR should be basically intact.
The files which control GRUB boot are normally /boot/grub/grub.conf
etc.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.