Re: ati graphics on laptops

Steffen Kluge wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 11:10 +0200, David Becker wrote:
>> Maybe your graphics controller has 64MB on board. If so, then it likely
>> can augment at least that amount from system memory. What laptop do use?
>
> Fujitsu Lifebook N3510.

Fujitsu does seem to be more honest/sincere about their graphics specs
(than Toshiba). They even tend to specify the type of memory on their
graphics controller (which is mostly DDR).

Still, Hypermemory or Turbocache gives vendors a lot of freedom in
misleading consumers. Advertised 128MB is often 32MB on board and 96MB
augmented. Advertised 64MB is often 16MB on board and 48MB augmented.
And sometimes 128MB is just 128MB shared, no on board memory, and
there's no feasible way to tell. Any simple benchmark doesn't reflect
the performance once the on board memory is exhausted. From that point
on the graphics controller is penalized for going over the system bus,
even with PCI express.

Sorry if I sound like I'm whining over this, but the market has become
so untransparent because of these architectures. And any vendor who *is*
sincere still looses credibility because of other vendors obscurity.
There's just too many different x300's and x600's on the market with
such a wide range of performance characteristics. If ATI started calling
their shared memory based graphic controllers x290 or x590 then notebook
vendors would have a harder time obscuring this than when they drop the
'SE' from 'x300 SE'.

Regards,

	David