Re: kernel source install

Jeff McKeon wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Neil Cherry
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2005 12:32 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: kernel source install

Jeff McKeon wrote:

Thanks Craig, what does the error message mean though? Just for my own knowledge...
Basically it means that you compiled the module for one kernel and are using it on another. As long as there were no major changes between versions this is OK.
Now it seems I can't configure the wlan0 interface.

If I issue:

iwconfig wlan0 essid "mynet"

And then issue the command:

Iwconfig

It still shows essid:off/any
I remember having a lot of problems with wlan. I then added wpa_supplicant so I could use WEP & WPA-PSK which works well with my Linksys WRT54G.

Hmm, sounds like what I need here. My AP is a linksys wrt54g as well.
Where do I get the wpa_suplicant?

Normally I'd say google it but I couldn't find it there! So here try
this:

http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_spplicant/

Here's how I run the whole thing:

modprobe ndiswrapper # (I did the whole setup thing before this)
iwconfig wlan0 essid YeahRightImNotTelling # replace with yours
iwconfig wlan0 channel 6 # try others if it's in use by others
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.10 # what ever ...
sleep 1 # I had a little trouble if I rushed things
wpa_supplicant -Dndiswrapper -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
sleep 2
route add default gw 192.168.0.254 wlan0

My wpa_supplicant.conf file is a lot of comments but with only this
entry:

eapol_version=1 # could try 2

ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

network={
  ssid= "YeahRightImNotTelling"
  psk="Your PSK"
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
  proto=WPA
  priority=5
  bssid=00:11:22:33:44:55
}

Replace 00:11:22:33:44:55 with the MAC address of your WRT54G.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)