Re: how to instal tar files

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 06:54:33PM +0530, sujit sugathan wrote:
> hi i'm new to linux & i dont know how to install tar & rpm files from cds. i
> have FC3 installed on my system . please help me . any help rendered will be
> appreciated.

For rpms looking at: man rpm
should help. But briefly: rpm -ivh foo.rpm
should install the rpm and : rpm -Uvh foo.rpm
should install the rpm is it is no0t installed or update the rpm if an
earlier version is installed.

For tars put the tar some where such as /usr/local/src
the execute: tar -xf foo.tar  or tar -xzf foo.tgz
depending if the tar file is gzipped as well as tarred. That will
normally produce a directory called foo that has in it the contents of
the tar file. cd to the directory and see instructions for installing
in documentation files hopefully found there.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
		-- Oscar Wilde
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University