Re: system-config-users 1.2.39 broken?

國產 Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar) wrote:
akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

That is not really the same thing as Linux can do and you don't have

to pay extra to so it.

As Lee Iaccoca would say: "If you can find a more stable Linux install
it."

If I'm not mistaken, U were the one who claimed that U those "miracles"
that you'd mentioned are possible ONLY if your using Linux, so I pointed
out to U that it's possible to perform them on Windoze as well.  I would
also like to add that Linux by itself cannot do those things that you've
mentioned either - It needs to have a package like VNC installed. Strictly speaking, Linux by definition, doesn't include VNC, does it?

The GUI may be great but it does very little in relation to what
Linux can do. I agree that people who are afraid of command line
commands should stick the simple minded-need of Windows. Windows is
popular because you can't buy a computer in the Us without getting it
and people don't know what a good operating system should do.
OSX is used very little and after all it is really a hidden Unix.

I'm afraid that U are the one who is mistaken here.  I have never
claimed that the GUI gives additional functions to Linux.  If you'd
refer to my posts, I said that I personally feel that the GUI is a more
efficient and easier way of doing things.

In my experience the GUI is a major headache for many tasks. It is slow and cumbersome. Many times in a week I have to change file names or organize data files. I can do this in CLI in seconds. In the GUI it take hours. Moving 200 grouped, non-sorted files from one directory to another is a simple command in the CLI. In the GUI it takes a bunch of pointing and clicking.

Changing directories is also a pain in most GUI's that I have used. Especially when there are deep tree's. Also editing files is much quicker from a CLI than a GUI. In a term window type in ghex2 {path}/{filename} and it opens. In the GUI, open application, click through all the various folders to get to the correct file and open.

Heck in the CLI, I can open multiple files from different directories with one command. The CLI, for me is much quicker and more productive than most GUI's. Of course there are some GUI tools that are just nicer to use than the CLI, especially when it come to graphics.

One of the first things I do on all installations is put a launcher for a terminal window on my application bar. It saves one click of the mouse. Yea, I know that I can right click and then left click to get to a terminal from the desktop, but that assumes a clear spot on the desktop. :)

Heck, even in Windows I use the cmd.exe regularly as I hate explorer or whatever it is called.
--
Robin Laing