FC4 / character encoding - Writer / gedit

I got this message on a new build FC4 machine that says that

gedit was not able to automatically detect the character coding. Please, check that you are not trying to open a binary file and try again selecting a character coding in the 'Open File...' (or 'Open Location') dialog.

Writer app is unable to open the .doc file that someone sent me.  I have no idea how to check if it is binary or not and I thought that mainly meant flat text files.

I am poking around Writer but havent' fixed it, any ideas anyone or is there a quick rpm I can grab for another app that might work better than Writer or gedit?

Thanks in advance --
Marc