Re: Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 14:39 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Also a GUI tends to be a moving target, thereby making
> what documentation there is out of date.

A good GUI shouldn't need documentation, though; it should explain
itself intuitively, and provide some hints for the more difficult bits.

A GUI does make it easier to set either/or options (won't let you do
both), and provide other multiple choice options.  But some are just
woeful, take Evolution's "automatically synchronise remote mail locally"
option.  What does that mean?  The manual doesn't explain.  I'd have to
do a series of tests to work out if that means keep messages available
locally and remotely, copy missing messages or delete local copy of a
remote message that was deleted by something else, and so on.  I have
another mailer on Windows, The Bat!, with a really weird and hazardous
sounding option that I've never ticked because I can't find an
explanation:  "purge unread messages".  Why would I want to lose a
message I haven't read yet?

I read messages from the public lists.