Re: Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

--- Kenneth Porter <shiva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --On Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:57 AM -0600 Guy Fraser
> <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Linux distributions need to get back to their roots if they
> > want to survive. They will hang on lingering with support
> > from only die hard fans, but like me after enough abuse they
> > will start loose interest too. It will take innovation and
> > listening to what the users expect and want, to re-invigorate
> > the user base if Linux distributions are to survive.
>

> You presume that all Linux users are alike, and that all distributions
> cater to all users. While it's nice to sell Linux to the masses to gain
> more hardware support, they've never been the core constituency.
>
> --

And that is a main problem if the goal is to get the masses to seriously
consider Linux.  If not, then it is a 'geek OS' for 'geeks Only' who
are not motivated to make the OS user friendly beyond a centain point.

I have seen this type of environment before at two different (now defunct)
Mini-Computer Vendors (remember the 80s?). The Developers tend to think
that thier world viewpoint is good enough for everyone.  It was always
a battle for Tech. Support to get them to see it the customer's way.
After all, they were buying the hardware and software.