Re: Help with Samba

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Harol Hunter wrote:

> I'm having a problem configuring samba to access my LAN, when a make
>
> $ ping machine
>
> what I get is
>
> unknown host machine

Start with the basics. If you cannot ping the machine by name you need to fix
your name resolution problems. Either put all of the machines in /etc/hosts
(difficult to maintain for more than a couple of machine.) or setup up a name
server.

You might want to look here: http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
for details about the various ways to setup samba.

> However if make
>
> $smbclient -L \\machine
>
> or try to see it in Nautilus, samba does recognize the machine , even
> when I can't access it because when I try it says
>
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> machine = W2K
>
> and I'm using FC4

Other than the part I commented on above you do not really give any useful
information on your configuration. Try reading the debugging parts of the
samba book.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx