OT: GnuCash

OK, I just don't get gnucash. I want to track a simple cash account for my group of Cub Scouts. I am only used to Quicken so I haven't done any double entry accounting before. My understanding is that I need an income and and an expense account? I really have two sources of income donations and fund raising. I created 3 accounts Donations, Fund raising and Expenses. Is this the correct way? So I added an entry to Donations, $100 for example and it tells me the transaction is not balanced. What does that mean, there has to be someplace I can record income without requiring that it come from another account right? I'm sure I'm missing some basic idea here.

Thanks

robert