Re: NEWBIE: Configuring Linux-Windows network

On 9/19/05, Marcus Zingmark <blackline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm totally new to both Linux and Samba and since I'm not an expert on
Windows networks either I'm in need of a guide (or so), for newbies,
about configuring a network between Linux and Windows systems. In my
case, my Linuxmachine running FC4 and my laptop (cordless network, WinXP).

Would be great if someone could send me a link or otherwise guide me
through this.

hey,

1) Edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file

change
workgroup = to your windows workgroup for ex mygroup
hostsallow =  to your network id for ex 192.168.1. 127.

uncomment these lines in smb.conf file
encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
;  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

after editing the smb.conf file ,save the file

2) Adding samba users

smbpasswd -a linuxuser(this linux user should be created before running this command)

3) Edit /etc/samba/smbusers file

linux user = windows user

for ex if there is a user john on linux and u want to access john's file through windows with user john2

john(linux user) = john2(windows user)

save the file

4) Test the samba configuration file

testparm

5) Start the samba service

service smb start

6) Now try to access the files through windows.

Note:  the ports 137,138,139 should be open and also check whether SELinux is on or off.

for more reading

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html
http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/networking/samba.shtml

Regards