Re: Can't add second disk to FC4 to rsync every night.

Jim Christiansen wrote:
So I've been poking around and haven't figured out how to add a second hard disk to my system that won't be tied into my existing volume.

I have had several RH 7.3 & 9 systems that rsynced to a separate drive every night as my method of backup. Two times in the last 3 years I have had hda disks fail and just purchased newer bigger drives, installed them as hda with the lastest RH or FC1, and restored my shadow, group, ... homes and other configs to the new system. Each time this has happened I have never even needed to worry.

Now it seems that with LVM the drives are tied together into a bigger volume. I don't want this. I want to keep them separate.

It did this by default, without asking? I'm amazed.

Any whoo... I have just installed a second ide drive as a slave and powered up my system only to have a kernel panic after grub. The error I get is:

Couldn't find all physical volume for volume group VolGroup00
Inconsistent metadata copies found - updating to use version 6
.
.
.
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
.
.
.
switchroot: mount failed: 22

My disks are jumpered properly and the second disk (slave) was working in the same box with an old FC3 but was a member of the whipped out FC3 VolGroup00

Is there something I should do first?

So the "new" drive you've added as hdb in your FC4 box was taken from an FC3 box where it was part of VolGroup00? Is that right? If so, I guess that leaves the old FC3 box dead because you've removed part of a volume group, and the new FC4 box is also dead because you've got two different VolGroup00s.

If you're not concerned about keeping the old FC3 installation, you can probably fix this by just booting from a rescue CD, repartitioning hdb and creating a new volume group (e.g. VolGroup01) on it. That will keep the two drives separate.

Paul.