Re: file system errors and empy fstab

I'm still not sure how it happened, but I was able to get things working by writing my fstab from scratch (using knoppix fstab as a guide). In recover mode, I had to remount / to be be writable using:
# mount -n -o remount,rw /

I thought I'd post an update here for anyone searching for the same problem...

Anyone have any suggestions on this? or any idea of where to look for a solution? Otherwise, I guess I have to just re-format and re-install... :-(

Hello,

I'm not sure what happened, but last time I booted my system (FC3 on IBM x40 thinkpad), I get the following:

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
*** Warning -- SELinux is active
*** Disabling security enforcement for system recovery.
*** Run 'setenforce 1' to reenable.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

It also gave some other errors about not finding /dev/pts, etc. When, I log in as root like it says above, I checked my /etc/fstab and it's empty (only a comment, # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details). I thought I could try to put some entries in there, but, when logging in in this "repair" mode or in working from a Knoppix CD, the filesystem is mounted as read-only.

I was able to copy out any important files using Knoppix, so I'm not too worried about loosing data now, but I'd like to figure out what's going on and fix it. I also tried running '/sbin/fsck -t ext3 /dev/hda6' - this gave me a warning about fixing my fstab file and then said:
"/: clean, <N>/<N> files, <N>/<N> blocks"

Is my fstab the culprit? Do I have to write it by hand? If so, how do I make it writable?

Any help is really appreciated.

thanks,
Ken