Re: Nautilus/Gedit Auto root privledges

At 5:12 PM -0400 9/18/05, Randall J. Berry wrote:
>    Hi,
>I would like to be able to load Nautilus and/or Gedit in superuser mode
>from my user account.

When I need to use Gedit as root, I do:

    $ su -
    # gedit &
    # exit

(or maybe with a filename, "gedit foo &").  I haven't felt the need to set
up sudo.

This gives me a new Gedit (I usually have one running) and I can do things
with it as root.  I haven't done this with Nautilus.

>Even if it's to ask for the root pwd before loading I don't care.
>It's more of a convenience then anything. I don't like logging into root
>unless I have to but I would still like to be able to browse files
>and/or edit configs when I need to without hassle.

I do most of my browsing as a normal user (often just using less), and only
become root when I /intend/ to change something.

>I hate having to log out and login as root or login with the term and
>load nautilus or gedit as root.

I never log out and log in as root; I only "su -" as needed.

>I'm not too concerned with security, there is really nothing on this
>machine of secure value.
>If it gets hacked and screwed. So be it I'll just wipe and reload.
>Is there a way that this can be done?

The only things of value there may be your storage, your bandwidth, and
your good name.