Re: xorg-x11 update may have broken my system

Francois Massonneau wrote:

On Saturday 17 September 2005 16:45, you wrote:
Hello,

Thank you so much.
This list is so helpful,
Thank you Jim for your reply. It solved my problem immediately.
Francois

No problem, I'm glad the comments helped you out. I was hit by X problems since phoebe2 beta. X is so complicated, it breaks frequently. Using rpm with the --oldpackage option works fairly decent to recover.

As a comment, I tried xorg-x11 on one of my FC3 systems with an Intel 815 chipset and it worked without problems. The same reason for patching X on FC4 was the same reason X was upgraded for FC3 (security patch) I have yet to upgrade the system to FC4 yet. I do have a development version on the same system that X works on. The version of X is newer than what FC4 had and seemed to not have problems. It of course does not get the security patches like the released FC3 and FC4 do. Why FC3 X works, development X works and FC4 X is giving troubles seems a mystery to me.

Anyway, I plan on upgrading the FC3 system to FC4 shortly to test out FC4 on an Intel 815 chipset. I am glad that I read the comments on the list regarding the problems encountered with later Intel video cards. I have a computer with an Intel 865G which is a server and will hold back for awhile until this FC4 xorg-x11 is solved. The machine is not on the Internet so security is less of an issue.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.