Re: Changing default KDM login window

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 18:57 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> > > I did so, Neil, but no progress. I go to change the login screen and I
> > > can only change the GDM one.
> >
> > I suggest you undo the changes you have made in /etc/inittab and select
> > the login manager editing /etc/sysconfig/desktop (add a line:
> > DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"). After doing this, you will still get a logon
> > screen similar to that of gdm. However, it will be not gdm, it will be
> > kdm using a gdm like theme. To disable it and get the "normal" kdm
> > screen, edit /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc, find the line "UseTheme=true" and
> > change it to "UseTheme=false". After the next reboot, you'll get the
> > good old kdm login screen.
>
> Thanks, Marcelo. I am not looking for replacing the login screen with
> the kdm "normal" one; I am intending to replace it with a nicer theme.
> Is that possible?
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

After finding or creating your desired KDM theme, copy it to:

/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes

Then you need to edit th line that reads:

Theme=/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/Bluecurve

...in the file:

/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc

Change "Bluecurve" to the name of the folder of your desired theme.

Hope that helps!

Chris
--
Chris Stark