Re: Wierd problem with postgresql

Jeff Vian wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 09:14 -0700, Linuxer Wang wrote:
>

>>Hello, all
>>
>>I am using Fedora Core 4 and the pre-installed postgresql 8.0.3.
>>
>>I don't want to lost my data when I reinstall fedora next time, so I
>>decide to create a new database under /opt.
>>So I changed the service startup script /etc/init.d/postgresql, and it
>>successfully init the database and ran well.
>>But after reboot the system, I found the service startup failed. The
>>error message is "postmaster cannot access
>>the server configuration file "/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf"
>>Permission denied. And after the system start and
>>login with root, the command "service postgresql start" can succeed.
>>
>>I also did the following test:
>>Disable the postgresql service, and put a line to /etc/rc.local:
>>runuser -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/postmaster -D /opt/postgresql/data &"
>>
>>When the system reboot, it failed to startup again, and the error
>>message is the same. But after login with root,
>>the above command can be successfully executed.
>>
>>Can anyone give me some hint to this problem?
>>

>Probably not a weird issue at all.  You created the new database and
>have run the server as root. Permissions likely prevent it from running
>as postgres.
>
>Check the ownership/permissions of the /var/lib/pgsql tree (On mine that
>directory is postgres:postgres with 0700 permissions) and make sure the
>new tree all the way down is the same so it can run as postgres.

I checked, but the /var/lib/pgsql only contains two empty folders, and
the permissions are correct.
The problem is that after the system start and login with root, it can
use "runuser -l postgres" to start the server,
but it can't be started in the service or /etc/rc.local.

BTW, I check the /opt/postgresql tree, the permission is also correct
for the whole tree.

Thanks,