Aaargh! PAM slays me!

OK, I'm going to start with the mailing list.

We have a lab machine that is/was setup to allow someone to ssh to the host as root, assuming the users public key has been added to roots .ssh/authorized_keys.

This all worked fine under FC3. We upgraded the box to FC4, now no one is able to ssh in as root. The following error is generated in the /var/log/secure file:

sshd[6048]: fatal: Access denied for user root by PAM account configuration

I've verified that the sshd_config file has not changed.

The /etc/pam.d/sshd file also has not changed.

I'm guessing this is something to do with authconfig or system-auth?

I've tried a couple of changes there, but no joy.

There are other PAM related problems, but if I can get this part working, I don't have to worry about my connection dropping (since the lab is difficult to access physically).

-David