Re: file system corruption

On 15 Sep 2005 at 10:17, chris wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:17:07 -0600
From:           	chris <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        	file system corruption
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to figure out whats going on with a system of mine, I have a
> fairly cheap IDE drive in it (160GB Western Digital),  but over the past
> 2 weeks 2 of the partitions ("/" and "/home") have been corrupted.  They
> are both formatted ext3, and one of them is the root for FC4.
>
> I don't see any errors in /var/log/messages, and am not sure where to
> look.  I just want to verify the drive is going out before replacing it.
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction of some sw tools are out there to
> help in diagnosing the problem?
>
> -chris

I would suggest running the memory test, I had a new AMD64
machine that was getting corruption on the drive files, and after
reinstalling twice, ran the memory test, and found that one of the two
memory moduals in the machines was failing the memory test on
test 8. Running on the single modual the machine had no problems,
and got the vendor to replace the set, and ran test.

If you don't have it installed on you system, you could also run it off
the ultimate bood cd.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/