Re: unwanted mount

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 14:18 +0200, Vassilios Kotoulas wrote:

> > > It is mounted because it is added in /etc/fstab. Just delete/comment
> > > out the line and the partition wont mount on boot.
> > >
> > This shouldn't be necessary - having the "noauto" flag set should stop
> > it being mounted. It is often useful to have entries in /etc/fstab for
> > things you only seldom mount.
> >
> > Vassilios - during the boot process, do you see /dev/hda3 being mounted?
> > Or does it seem to be mounted (and unmounted) as you login and logout?
>
> I made some experiments:
> a) booting into runlevel 3: not mounted
> b) booting into runlevel 5 but not logging in: not mounted
> c) logging in to gnome: mounted
>
> After step b) I did a dmesg -c to see only what happens during c)
> here's the result:
>
> [willy@kra:~] dmesg
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3 FS on hda3, internal journal
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> SELinux: initialized (dev hda3, type ext3), uses xattr
>
> Is kjournald the mounter? Is it because it is an ext3 partition? My
> other partitions are xfs.
>
> regards
> vassilios

Vassilios,

No, kjournald handles the ext3 journal for the filesystem.  Most likely
the gnome-volume-manager is mounting the filesystem for you.  The fstab
'noauto' option stops it from being mounted at boot time.

Open the GConf editor then under desktop->gnome->volume_manager uncheck
automount_drives.  Maybe that will help.  It looks like this option is
all encompassing and may not be what you want if you use removable
drives.

Bob...