Re: OT - has my email domain been hijacked?

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 23:55 -0700, Schlaegel wrote:
> On 9/14/05, kevin.kempter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <kevin.kempter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thanks for the info.
> >
> > Can you send me info on what a spam assasin filter to catch these will need to
> > look like?
>
> Here are some rules I added to my user_prefs file after setting
> "allow_user_rules 1" in local.cf.
>
> My goal was to insure the joe-job bounces were deleted, not remove
> spam, which I receive little of. I turned off Bayes and neutered
> auto_whitelist. I would have completely turned off auto_whitelist if I
> could have figured out how. The rules still need to have their score
> adjusted, as most of the matches are guaranteed bounces.
>
> I based the rules on my large collection of bounce messages and
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/5381
>
> # From bounce matches
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_MAILER_DAEMON    From =~ /mailer-daemon/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_MAILER_DAEMON    From: mailer-daemon, probably an
> automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_MAILER_DAEMON    5
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_BLACKHOLE    From =~ /blackhole/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_BLACKHOLE    From: blackhole, probably an automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_BLACKHOLE    5
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_POSTMASTER    From =~ /postmaster/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_POSTMASTER    From: postmaster, probably an
> automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_POSTMASTER    5
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_POST_OFFICE    From =~ /Post Office/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_POST_OFFICE    From: Post Office, probably an
> automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_POST_OFFICE    5
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL_DELIVERY_SYSTEM    From =~ /Mail Delivery System/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL_DELIVERY_SYSTEM    From: Mail Delivery
> System, probably an automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL_DELIVERY_SYSTEM    5
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL_DELIVERY_SUBSYSTEM    From =~ /Mail Delivery
> Subsystem/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL_DELIVERY_SUBSYSTEM    From: Mail Delivery
> Subsystem, probably an automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL_DELIVERY_SUBSYSTEM    5
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL_ADMINISTRATOR    From =~ /Mail Administrator/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL_ADMINISTRATOR    From: Mail Administrator,
> probably an automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL_ADMINISTRATOR    5
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_SYSTEM_ADMINISTRATOR    From =~ /System Administrator/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_SYSTEM_ADMINISTRATOR    From: System
> Administrator, probably an automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_SYSTEM_ADMINISTRATOR    5
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_INTERNET_MAIL_DELIVERY    From =~ /Internet Mail Delivery/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_INTERNET_MAIL_DELIVERY    From: Internet Mail
> Delivery, probably an automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_INTERNET_MAIL_DELIVERY    5
>
> header   BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL    From =~ /mail/i
> describe BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL    From: mail, possibly an automated message
> score    BOUNCE_FROM_MAIL    1

> [...]

Does this not result in the trashing of *all* bounces, not just
backscatter?

Note that the term "Joe Job" really applies to cases where the spammer
is deliberately trying to pass off the spam as originating by the
purported sender, typically to try to cause trouble for the purported
sender - see
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci917469,00.html
for some history - whereas most spam sent with forged sender addresses
is just a result of the spammer picking domains at random, with no
particular malicious intent regarding the domains he/she is forging.

The OP could get rid of most of his problem simply by turning off the
catch-all mailbox and using only specific addresses in his domain.
Backscatter hitting non-existent addresses would then be rejected by his
mail server.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>