Re: static DNS record and DHCP

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 14:51 -0700, Steve Zeng wrote:

> Can someone give me some clue on this problem?
>
> I got DHCP 3.0.1 and BIND 9.2.3 configured on Fedora Core 3 to work
> with Windows 2003 Active Directory. When I manually add some static
> hosts into DNS zone file, it is deleted automatically after a while.
> How can I keep them from being removed? I need some static IPs for
> servers.

Are the static IPs outside of the range used by DHCP?

Did you stop the DNS server and remove the journal (.jnl) files before
adding in your static addresses?

You can preset your DHCP server to assign fixed IPs to some hosts,
that's another way of doing it.  See the man file for details, but you
can identify a machine to give a fixed IP to by hostname or MAC.

e.g. Something *like* this in the DHCP configuration file:

  host fixme {
       hardware ethernet 00:00:21:25:92:fb;
       fixed-address 192.168.1.180;
       option host-name "fixme";
       update-static-leases on;
  }

> my /etc/dhcpd.conf is as follows:
>
> key rndc-key {
>   algorithm hmac-md5;
>   secret "8mTgBumsU7SEaYkDvE2RvBVYUtwPQCdg/CHV/v2pOGM";
> }

No longer "secret", change it if that's important to you.

I read messages from the public lists.