Re: display compressed to 2"

Thomas Taylor wrote:

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 15:42, Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
The last time I booted FC3 up,  the display was verticaly compressed to
about 2-3"

I had previously looked at the video settings while in gui mode using
the system settings display application. I was not logged on as root,
but had to use su password to see the settings.

Which gui are you using (kde, gnome, other)? In kde, under menu > system settings > display, you do have to enter the root password, is that what you mean? Or are you trying to perform "su"?

I made no changes, but got a message that I would have to re boot to
save changes (which I had not knowlingly made)

In kde, after viewing/changing the display settings, there are only two choices, either "cancel" or "OK". Cancel won't save anything. OK will make changes in the appropriate files but should only need a service restart, not a reboot. Not sure about gnome, don't use it.

I can increase the vertical disply using the wheels under the monitor
enough to increase the display to about 4", so that I can read whats on
the display.

I used the Find application, and File Browser to locate the files
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and the original configuration saved as
/etc/X11/xorg.backup

I set view to show hidden files, and got the message that the files
could not be found.

I next re booted and logged on as root, but got the same message.

I then clicked on the computer icon, and then the file icon and found
those files.

I printed them out, and compared them line for line, and found no
differences, indicating that nothing had been changed.

I next booted a live cd, and it displayed its desktop correctly.(not
compressed vertically)

This shows that the problem is not with the hardware since a different distro worked properly.

ViewSonic 5E Monitor settings:
   Hsync 31 - 60
   Vrefresh 50 - 90

Videocard0
   Matrox Millennium G400

How do I get FC3 to display normally?

It won't help you this time, but for the future, it would be a good idea to always make a backup of /etc to a CD or second harddrive. This will allow you something to go back to or to verify from.

HTH,
Tom

I was using the gui listed as "Default" I am given the choices "default" and gnome after clicking on "Session" before logging in.

The display settings look as they should in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the original configuration saved as /etc/X11/xorg.backup

I did have to enter the root password.

What do I have to do to correct the problem?