sound problem

Thank you Alex. Yes I can move the sliders up and down. The one I have
moved to max is the CD slider. But playing a sound CD tells me unknown
artist, unknown album . I do have a Win. partition on the disc and this
works fine with sound so know that all is connected up ok. Something I
am missing somewhere !. Regards,  Harry.