Questions re: lircd and/or enabling IR on an SB Audigy w/ LiveDrive

Was wondering if someone might have some experience or tips in regards to configuring lircd to work with a SB Audigy w/LiveDrive.  First things first:  I know that IR has to be enabled through the snd-emu10k1 module using enable_ir=1.  This would be done through modules.conf, correct?  And when it finally IS enabled, is there any easy way to verify this.  Secondly, I copied the preconfiged lircd.conf file for creative livedrives included w/ the lircd package to /etc/lircd.conf but when lircd loads at boot time, by the time I can get to a command prompt to check it, it has died for some reason. Thanks in advance to anyone able to assist me.

Gary