Re: Building software from source

Am Mo, den 12.09.2005 schrieb Matthias Bauw um 16:23:

No HTML formatted mails to this list please.

> I have some question about building software though? How can I update
> software that I have built from source?
> Do I just download new source and build the new version? Will the old
> one disappear then?

If you install the new version over the old one, the old version will be
overridden. If you compile yourself you have to care for target
locations yourself. Maybe the old source support a "make uninstall"
procedure.

> And what if you want to add configuration options afterwards? For
> example, have have built PHP from source without
> GD, and now I would like to use it. What do I do?

You need to completely recompile PHP.

> Matt.

If you ask me: use Fedora RPMs (Core, Extras, livna, etc.) wherever you
can and avoid compiling yourself. What do you gain by compiling PHP
yourself?

Alexander

Serendipity 17:14:26 up 21 days, 13:58, load average: 0.30, 0.41, 0.36