Compaq V4000 Laptop, Fedora 4 Sound & Network Set-Up

Title: Compaq V4000 Laptop, Fedora 4 Sound & Network Set-Up

Call it knuckleheaded on my part, but there are two issues with FDC 4 and the Compaq V4025 Laptop.

Starting with Sound. I had to change the sound settings in GNOME and KDE through the Mixer to External Amplifier to bring it out of sound mute, but the Sound Blaster 16 is not recognized under Auto-Detect, nor any of the Linux specific Sound devices in the list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Now the Network. Normally the WLAN is started by pressing the WLAN button, but the feature is disabled in both GNOME and KDE, and I would like to know if there is a way to invoke and start the WLAN upon start up so that it is enabled automatically. The network card is a Intel Pro 2000 Wireless, on board device. Otherwise FC4 picked up everything else (including the modem) just fine.

Thanks,

John