Re: xen breaks DNS for me

Murray, WJ (Bill) wrote:
> I debugged for a while, and it seems that if I call 'host' twice,
> the first is fine, but the second call breaks dns. Or running the
> rhn_applet_gui breaks it. However, the '/sbin/route' command will
> correctly give the gw name rather than address as many times as you
> like, and presumably is does a dns lookup to find it.

route uses the libc name resolution (NSS).  host uses the resolver
library code directly.  NSS (if nscd is running) caches the results so
it is no wonder that route continues to provide the correct information.

Look at the log files and if necesary run host under strace to see why
the network syscalls fail.