Re: mobo upgrade advice?

Hello,

In general, and upgrade, as long you you complaint hardware (no fancy
SATA raids, etc) should work just fine. I did it a couple of times in
the past and RedHat/Fedora never failed me. (Though YMMV)
However, before you start, make sure you have a rescue CD handy. At
times, the different IDE/SATA configuration on the new board might
change the IDE channel arrangement pushing your root from /dev/hdaN
to /dev/hdeN, etc.
Second, If you plan on spending >200-300$ on a new board/CPU/etc, you
can surely spare 50$ more and get a new disk drive.
The OS upgrade isn't necessary; all you need is a little bang on the IDE
drive to kill it.
As the saying goes: Backup, backup, backup!

Gilboa