RunAsUser for MSP ignored [Was: Troubles with PHP and sendmail]

On Wed, 2005-07-09 at 08:44 -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-09 at 19:15 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> > Guy Fraser wrote:
> > > Is there a cookie cutter fix to allow the PHP mail()
> > > function to work?
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken, you just need to set your PHP to use an SMTP server
> > instead of directly using sendmail in your php.ini file.
> >

> This is what I have in the /etc/php.ini mail section :
> ---start
> [mail function]
> ; For Win32 only.
> SMTP = localhost
> smtp_port = 25
>
> ; For Win32 only.
> ;sendmail_from = me@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> ; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -
> t -i").
> ;sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
>
> ---end

I was quite sure the command line error :

RunAsUser for MSP ignored ...

Was related to this problem, and after chasing a wild
goose with SELinux, I started to consider the problem was
related to sendmail itself.

Now I think I fixed it.

After discovering a file called SECURITY, in the sendmail
source on one of my FreeBSD server, I discovered that in
order to send mail using the sendmail binary you need to
be running in MSA mode. The MSA mode uses submit.cf and
can be enabled using the -Ac sendmail option.

>From what I discovered, I changed the sendmail path in
/etc/php.ini to :

sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -t -i

And now the mail() function works. :^)

I hope this helps for anyone who has been unable to get any
help in this list with these and other similar problems.

No thanks will be given to anyone at Redhat for their
complete lack of assistance to myself, and my customer
who has yet to get a solution from Redhat Enterprise
support. Since the SUPPORT document is not included
with the binary, it took a FreeBSD user to point me
to it for examination.

Sincerely
Guy