Re: ipw2200 wireless not working on Compaq Presario V2413AP

On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:42, Alimin Bijosono Oei wrote:
> Thanks Peter, I tried using acpi=off and it worked. Sound is working now
> and usb wireless mouse is too, so this is definitely an acpi issue. But
> is this that serious though? I mean, all I can read with my little
> knowledge from dmesg is that those features were recognised, it is just
> IRQ allocating problem. However, I would really like to be able to use
> acpi though for monitoring the battery status and also adjusting cpu
> frequency. Is there anyway to fix this? Will modifying the DSDT help in
> this case? Also, is Fedora 4's kernel allow the implementation of custom
> DSDT already or kernel recompilation is still needed for this purpose?
ACPI is responsible for a ton of different things - including interrupt
allocations. try acpi=noirq instead of your acpi=off now and see if it works
still... try pci=routeirq if you need to....
Adjusting the DSDT is usually a pretty annoying task since you need to know
the hardware pretty well and have lots of patience for testing...

> As for BIOS, this is the latest BIOS that I could find available, so
> little can I do at that department.
Just keep checking back every now and then...

> Well, as far as Compaq is concerned, that is surely a lesson for me BUT
> I thought that Compaq is part of HP and that HP supports linux so there
> you go. Checking from linux on laptops website, there is none that says
> dont buy compaq presario v2000 series, in fact some show that v2000
> series work with some other distros but there is no example with Fedora
> though. If I am stuck after all possible attempts with Fedora then I
> will try with other distros. Please bear with me for a few more shots at
> this problem.
:-) Yeah - but in my personal opinion (and I know a lot of people disagree) -
Compaq produces the worst laptops for Linux of all 1st tier vendors. They
gear everything so much toward windows and don't care about anything else.
Their bioses are beyond buggy and their hardware upgrade options suck (they
whitelist the cards they allow you to use in the mini-pci slot!) Got a 11b
card? want to upgrade to 11g? Enjoy paying $150 for the upgrade - your
generic $19.99 card of ebay will not work.
The another major problem I have with compaq is that they change their
hardware so often... You never know exactly what you are going to get...
So even if someone says I've got a V2413A and it works well, just because you
got a V2413AP doesn't mean it will work...

Peter.