Re: Is Linux better than Windows for large fonts?

Jeff Vian wrote:
> software is written for the user not the vendor.

I'd also suggest that it tends to be written by programmers *on their
own machines*, and they are likely to have high-resolution screens. And
historically, a lot of X computers have had higher resolution than PCs.

I know I personally run at 1600 by 1200 on a 17 inch CRT, and increase
font sizes to match. I find it makes the fonts clearer.

But the programmers (and the users on the appropriate user groups: i.e.
the ones from whom they hear) will also be using some lower-resolution
screens.

So there is pressure on the programmers (especially toolkit programmers)
to support both. And the easiest way of doing that is to move away from
pixel measurements to relative measurements.

James.

--
E-mail address: james |     Tony Newman asks, where is Stan Kelly-Bootle? This
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | is a good question, and one often posed by the taxman.