Re: Two display anomalies (one FIXED, but not explained, one left open)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Bob Chiodini wrote:

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 23:01 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Bob Chiodini wrote:

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 20:58 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
(1)
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 930B (flat panel)
Driver: nvidia (the commercial one), but it happens as well with nv.
Resolution: 1280x1024, 32-bit color or 16-bit color
Sypmtom: Monitor flickers as if it's synching at very low rate.
The monitor reports that it is syching at 75Hz, but I still see flicker.

Strange, this morning, the monitor is perfect. Even the auto-adjust works (forgot to mention that it was aligning the image too far left). And I didn't touch anything.

I'm almost afraid to try rebooting. But I'll keep the synch advice handy in case I see a recurrence.

That leaves this one:

(2)
Video card: ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 in an IBM Thinkpad T41.
Driver: radeon
Kernel: kernel-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
Kernel option: video=radeonfb
X: xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.45
Symptom: When I use the VGA-out jack to connect to an overhead projector
or external monitor, the projector image ripples slowly, as though (very
narrow) waves are passing over it.

In FC3, this behavior varied with the kernel version.  In FC4, I need this
kernel in order to get proper ACPI behavior, so I haven't tested much.  In
WinXP, the display is rock-solid.

I'll check refresh rate in XP and Linux and test some cables and report back.

Thanks for the help so far.

[...]

For (2), I'm pretty convinced it's a bug, but I' not sure what component
to report it against.  In FC3, it varied with kernel version, with
whatever XFree/xorg was installed.  So I'm sort-of thinking kernel.

Thanks for any suggestions.

[...]

Matthew,

When I needed to switch from a tube to an LCD, I
edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the upper vertical refresh rate to
60.

Bob...

--
		Matthew Saltzman