Re: can yum remove old packages?

Philip Moller wrote:

sean wrote:

Rex Dieter wrote:

sean wrote:

on a yum update,  yum didn't do cleanup.

Now I have a lot of duplicate packages, e.g.:

 rpm -q libidn-devel
libidn-devel-0.5.6-1
libidn-devel-0.5.15-1

How can I erase all the old packages?

I know of no easy automatic way to do it, other than manually. In this case,
rpm -e libidn-devel-0.5.6-1

-- Rex

That may be a life's work. It was in the middle of a fc3->fc4 upgrade. Over 300 packages updated.

Sigh.

sean

well, try (as root) :
# yum clean all

# man yum

CLEAN OPTIONS
      The following are the ways which you can invoke yum in clean mode.

      yum clean packages
Eliminate any cached packages from the system. Note that packages are
             not automatically deleted after they are downloaded.

      yum clean headers
Eliminate all of the files which yum uses to determine the remote availability of packages. Using this option will force yum to download
             all the headers the next time it is run.

      yum clean all
             Runs yum clean packages and yum clean headers as above.