Re: Searching for a pci graphic card under fc4

On 9/5/05, James Wilkinson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> What do you want to do with it? I don't think xorg supports any pci-only 3d
> card.

You'd be surprised. At least until recently, most (stand-alone) consumer
graphics chips had PCI versions, and I understood that X supported them.

That depends on what you define as "recently". Last year's cards are not available in PCI versions. The ATI cards until the Radeon 7500 and nvidia until TNT2 are the last ones I've seen. For DRI support maybe the ATI card will work. NVidia has dropped support for all pre-geforce cards in their latest drivers.

There are too many motherboards out there with nothing faster than PCI.
They usually have pretty slow on-board 3D graphics, so there is a fair
market for upgrade cards.

Some newer boards with onboard graphics also have an AGP slot (with possibility to switch to the card in an external slot)

It's supposed to be pretty easy for a basically AGP design to support
PCI: AGP is essentially fast PCI with some extra memory access features.
There are other ways to handle those memory accesses (copying data to
the card and using it from there). AGP cards have to be able to do that
anyway, so there isn't that much for the designers to do.

Of course, but I guess the market for PCI cards is becoming smaller. Besides, the video card market is shifting to PCI express which returns the video card to the (upgraded) pci bus making it a lot easier to add extra cards.

(The most noticable exception was the Intel 740, if I remember
correctly. It was introduced shortly after AGP, and was designed to be
AGP only to make a point).

Nothing wrong with trying to make use of a new standard I guess... It was a decent card for the time (and price). Too bad they didn't support DRI then (although they did with the follow-up 8xx series).

Klaasjan