capacity/performance question about Kmail

I run several Linux boxes now, including two FC4 machines. I do all my mail
reading on them, now, though I leave messages on the servers and only
download to my Windows box for archival. (I have mail archived as far back as
early 90's) I've noticed a huge discrepancy in performance between Outlook
vs. Kmail and I wonder what others are experiencing.

Currently, I have over 20,000 messages on one FC4 box and nearly that many on
the other. Leaving aside the question of why, here's my observation/question:
With Kmail, my fedora-list folder, for example, currently contains over 13,000
messages. I leave my search bar open all the time. If I want to retrieve an
old post that I remember as having pertained to a current problem, I can
start typing in to the search bar and immediately, Kmail begins narrowing the
search options and producing a list of relevant messages - I mean immediately
- there is no lag, the response seems instantaneous.

To search a folder in my Outlook archive, even a much smaller folder, takes
many moments, sometimes over a minute, if the folder is 'large' - by large, I
mean over a 1000 messages. For this reason, I have archiving turned on, and
messages over 3 months old are sent to archive, but of course that then means
multiple searches if I'm looking for an older message.

So, my question: how large can Kmail folders get before they start to slow
down searching? I find this performance remarkable, and I'm just wondering
what the limits are?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA