Re: Mail Problem

Am Di, den 30.08.2005 schrieb Doug Lewis um 20:08:

> I'm running FC4 with Fetchmail, Sendmail , Dovecot and Thunderbird.
> Fetchmail is running and picking up mail from my ISP and places it in
> /var/mail. However Thunderbird is looking in /home/"USER"/mail/inbox. It
> works if I copy /var/... to /home/... but shouldn't this be done
> automagically. I haven't changed anything and logwatch didn't report any
> updates that may have broke something. I've been googling and tried
> Postfix as well. Any ideas on what happened and how to fix it.

> doug

The typical and probably best setup: fetchmail fetches mail and hands it
over to the local MTA which then (here with help of procmail) stores it
in the INBOX (here /var/spool/mail/<user>). The mail access server (here
dovecot) which you query from your mail client (thunderbird) should be
configured to handle all places where mail is stored. Please see

http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/MailLocation

for detailed instructions. A common setup is

default_mail_env = mbox:%h/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u

How do you actually instruct fetchmail to operate? Doesn't it fetch the
mails and presents them your local MTA Sendmail? Or if Thunderbird is
configured "strange", then correct it's setup and let it contact your
local dovecot IMAP/POP3 server.

Alexander

Serendipity 20:20:40 up 8 days, 17:04, load average: 0.01, 0.08, 0.08