Re: FC4 Freeze Issue

I asked (about a series of crashes):
> Um. Some 3D drivers (especially closed source drivers) can do it.
>
> Is there any pattern to what's happening on the computer? Are you
> ever at it, or always away?

Tony Crouch replied:
> From what I can see there does not seem to be too much consistency
> with the freezes. The majority of the time the freezes occur under
> slightly higher than average CPU load (i.e. burning a CD or install a
> program). However, there have been occasions when the freezes have
> been while it is sitting (seemingly) idle.
>
> My video drivers are the standard drivers that come with FC4. My video
> card is an ATI IGP 345M.

I've had problems with lockups with a (PCI) Radeon 9250 (on x86_64), and
found that commenting out the line
#       Load  "dri"
and changing
#       Driver      "radeon"
        Driver      "ati"
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ditches your 3D support, but gets you stability.
This might be worth experimenting with (depending on how much you value
3D).

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Despite what Bob had said, Snocket knew his attack egg
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | was cool.