Re: X.org's DRI vs. ATi's Proprietary driver (Was: "Re: ATI Livna driver package (Something has changed)")

On Tue August 30 2005 11:36 am, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 09:17 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > This is the first time I've seen any one say that the ATI drivers
> > included in the kernel were well-supported. Everything I've otherwise
> > read has said that the built in drivers were lacking in 3D/Open GL
> > performance.
>
> I have a 9200 (not SE), and I get much better performance with the built
> in drivers than the fglrx drivers from livna. Perhaps I'm doing
> something wrong when installing the livna packages...

Interesting - I shall monitor this thread, to see if anyone else comments on
this. The new kernel-modules were put up this morning on Livna, and I've
installed them. I still can't tell if they're active because of the anomalies
I reported in my previous posts. I continue to get no messages on boot, with
the ATI-fglrx driver seemingly being loaded (but it was behaving the same way
before I installed the new module - the script is supposed to check for the
presence of the correct module, and return an error message if it's not there
- it didn't seem to be doing this before or after the new kernel-module
installation). If I step through the boot, when it gets to the ATI driver, I
say yes when it asks whether to load it, and it returns no message, but moves
on to the next service.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA