Re: installation

I would be surprised if you could burn an iso with the Xp burning software, could I suggest that when you get the iso's sorted out that you clean install Xp then set up a dual boot, if that is what you wish to do of course.

On 30/08/05, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue August 30 2005 10:43 am, mike kenward wrote:
> Dear all,
> realise im probably addressing you all in a completely inappropriate
> manner, but im not a frequent user of forumsor mailing lists so please
> accept my apologies for any flaws in etiquette.
> My problem is as follows.
> I have been following the instruction of both the fedora websiteand a
> friend in installing the operating system onto a second partition on my
> computer. The computer is only 6 months old and has been attacked by virus'
> since what seems to have been its first moments online. It runs windows xp,
> now very slowly and clumsily, and im sick and tired of it.
> i downloaded the cd iso files from the download site accessible through the
> fedora website. i have burned them onto sparate cd's, first using xp's own
> burning programme, and later using the sonic programme (which i think is
> linux based, correct me if im wrong).
> it seemed to work ok, but each time i try to boot from the first cd, it
> simply ignored my request and boots directly from windows.

Do you know how to enter setup for your BIOS? That would be the first thing to
check. Usually, you press 'del' or 'F2' but it could be a different key, very
early in the boot process. Then you have to find the screen that sets the
boot order, and tell your computer to try and boot from the CD first.
Secondly, if you get that set right, you have to check the manner in which you
burned your CD's if it still doesn't work. You need to 'burn image'. Every
burn program is slightly different, so it's hard to tell you exactly how to
do this. If you can open your CD on your XP partition and look at it, it
should contain a bunch of files - if it just has one large .iso file, you
didn't 'burn image'  but just burned a copy of the file to your CD - Google
the burn program you're using, or use its help file, or just poke around the
menus and look for words like 'burn image'.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA