Re: Share internet connection/make a small server

Antonio,
  Just a little advice.  I have done the same same setup.  I have used an old 500 Mhz machine using fedora 2.  If you only want the machine for routing, I would recommend getting shorewall firewall, and webmin.  Webmin makes managing your settings much easier than maually editing files, and shorewall does routing from an abstraction of iptables with easier configuration files.

On 8/29/05, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

--- Markku Kolkka <markkuk@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

> Antonio Olivares kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika
> tiistai, 30.
> elokuuta 2005 01:26):
> > [root@rio ~]# service dhcpd start
> > dhcpd: unrecognized service
>
> dhcpd is the DHCP _server_. Do you want to use this
> machine as
> the DHCP server for your network?

Yes, I do.  I am getting closer and close to solving
this.  Here's what I have done.

I went to
http://fedoranews.org/blog/?p=666
and tried to use this as a reference.  Now things are
looking brighter.  I changed /etc/dhcpd.conf to mirror
the one in the above website changing the domain names
to other ones as specified.

[root@rio sbin]# service dhcpd start
Starting dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP
Server V3.0.1
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

No subnet declaration for eth1 (192.168.100.1).
** Ignoring requests on eth1.  If this is not what
   you want, please write a subnet declaration
   in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
   to which interface eth1 is attached. **

No subnet declaration for eth0 ( 10.154.19.136).
** Ignoring requests on eth0.  If this is not what
   you want, please write a subnet declaration
   in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
   to which interface eth0 is attached. **

Not configured to listen on any interfaces!

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org,
please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that
before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have
not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting
help.
If you intend to request help from the
dhcp-server@xxxxxxx
mailing list, please read the section on the README
about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests
for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described
in
the README file.

exiting.

    [FAILED]
[root@rio sbin]# service dhcpd start
Starting dhcpd:
    [  OK  ]
[1]+  Done                    kedit /etc/dhcpd.conf
[root@rio sbin]#

> > No subnet declaration for eth1 (192.168.100.1).
> > ** Ignoring requests on eth1.  If this is not what
> >    you want, please write a subnet declaration
> >    in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
> >    to which interface eth1 is attached. **
> >

> > No subnet declaration for eth0 ( 10.154.19.136).
> > ** Ignoring requests on eth0.  If this is not what
> >    you want, please write a subnet declaration
> >    in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
> >    to which interface eth0 is attached. **
> >

> > Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
>
> The error message should be quite clear, if you
> really want to
> run a DHCP server, you must edit dhcpd.conf to suit
> your needs.

You are right.  We are getting there as from above