Re: Error correction on optical drives

Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I didn't find any way to turn on or manipulate ECC on optical drives
> (dvd and cd drives) via hdparm (or anywhere else for that matter).
>
> Am I missing something?  Or should a bug be filed?

I thought optical drives had *huge* amounts of ECC that was inherent in
the way the CD format was specified. And a drive that doesn't do ECC
won't be able to read the disks.

http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/cd-rom/cdrom_spec.htm tallies
with my memory.

So it should always be on, regardless of OS.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "I never really understood how there could be things
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | that would drive you insane just because you knew