Re: glibc-common ?

zorglub78@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> When I try to update packages, yum blocks on glibc-common with timeout for
> every server.
> Also, when I try to download it with firefox from fedora site, it blocks.
>
> Why this?

Oh dear. Sorry to hear about that.

glibc-common is a huge package (60 MB uncompressed, 15 MB compressed on
x86_64) that provides a lot of general resources for a Linux system. So
it's not surprising that it might take a long time to download. On a
dial-up connection, for example, it would take over an hour to download
even if you had a really fast modem and a fast and reliable site.

But you should be able to download it from one site or another --
eventually. You might try looking at
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html and selecting a mirror
site close to you that you think will be reliable. You should be able
to use Firefox on any of them. Alternatively, put an appropriate line in
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo.

Personally, I find Alan Cox's site
http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/
to be good. (Alan works for Red Hat, and is one of the Elder Statesmen
of the Linux project). But then, I'm in the UK, and so is he.

The appropriate line in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedore-updates.repo is
baseurl=http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/$ARCH/
Comment out (with a # at the front) the mirrorlist= lines.

You might find that you have to download the appropriate RPMs manually,
and upgrade them with RPM. Use
rpm -qa | grep glibc
to see which glibc packages you have installed, and try downloading the
latest version manually. (You'll probably have to update them all
together). If there's an i686 and an i586 version of glibc, make sure
that you get the right one for your system. You can use the command
rpm -q --qf '%{N}-%{V}-%{R}.%{ARCH}\n' glibc
to see what you've currently got installed.

Put them all in the same directory, and run
rpm -Fvh *.rpm
to install them.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, please report (to the list) what sort of
Internet connection you have, which mirrors you've tried, and whether
you can download other large files.

And don't forget http://www.fedorafaq.org/#yumconf

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Drums must never stop. Very bad if drums stop."
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Why? What will happen if the drums ever stop?"