Re: FC3 problm

arnuld wrote:

Hi there,
i was using FC2 before. I have a very slow
machine (Celeron 600 on SiS630 with 256MBs of RAM) so
In FC2 i stopped some services, like sendmail,
iptables(my modem does not work under linux so i do
not use it for internet), isdn, ntfs, network etc. as
they are not needed for a single, no-internet PC. With
these servies stopped FC2 took 1/2 of the booting
time.

now i have a fresh installation of FC3 and it takes
VERY-LONG time to boot as compared to FC2. Even after
i have stopped the same services (same as FC2 which i
do not need), it still takes VERY LONG time to boot.

actually 2 services in the boot-process:

1.) starting: udev
2.) initializing hardware: storage network audio done

take VERY-LONG TIME. other services are fine in
comparable to FC2 boot-up time-consuming process. In
fact these 2 services were NOT PRESENT on FC2. they
only appear in FC3 ( and they are frustrating
services).

NOW ca! n anybody tell me PLEASE

-- what are the functions of these 2 services and
-- how can i remove them (if and only if they are not
useful)

As far as I know, FC2 and below used static /dev entries, whereas FC3 and above use dynamic ones. Your /dev tree gets populated at boot time using udev.

Personally - my experience is like yours - the Linux boot up procedure is slow enough as it is and I would prefer going back to static /dev entries if it means faster booting but I'll just go with the times.

For my server I don't mind so much, as it's never rebooted, but my laptop is dismal.

Anyway - I think I've partly answered your question. As to why using udev is better or why we went to it - I don't know. For me it's more of a hindrance than a benefit, but I probably don't understand it fully.

Regards,
Ed.
begin:vcard
fn:Edward Dekkers
n:Dekkers;Edward
org:Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.;Management
adr:;;822 Rowley Road;Oakford;WA;6121;Australia
email;internet:edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Mr.
tel;work:(08) 9397-1040
tel;fax:(08) 9397-0749