Re: X.org's DRI vs. ATi's Proprietary driver (Was: "Re: ATI Livna driver package (Something has changed)")

On 8/30/05, Peter Gordon <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The 9200SE uses an RV280 series chip, which is well-supported by
the Free drivers which are a part of the kernel and X.org's X11
server implementation. Just for the sake of my curiosity, is there
something special that ATi's proprietary driver gives you that you
cannot get with the Free drivers? I think, considering that GNU/Linux
is based on the principles of Free/open-source software, it would make
sense to use Free drivers where supported, right? :-O

2 words: Doom 3 ;)

(last time I looked the Free drivers did cause lots of graphic distortions in that game).

Klaasjan