Re: I'd like to talk with my new Motorola E815 cellphone.

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I got a data cable but I have no idea how to get the USB end of it to
> work. I found software (gnokki) to talk to the phone if the device is
> recognized. Can someone give me pointers on how to get started? I'm on
> Core 4.

What exactly are you trying to do with it? Are you trying to use it as a
modem, or are you trying to upload / download pictures and music?

I've got a (much more basic) V220: I've found that the 32 bit version of
moto4lin works well enough for uploading and downloading files. As far
as I can tell, the phone is ready for use as a modem as soon as you plug
it into a Fedora-based computer: no phone configuration is needed.

Moto4lin isn't in Extras: you can build the package yourself or try the
RPM at
http://www.altlinux.com/index.php?module=sisyphus&package=moto4lin .

Whether any of this is true for your phone isn't clear. In any case, the
package is considered alpha status, and no-one but you is responsible if
it causes any damage...

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | It's fair enough for a surgeon to refuse to operate on
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | someone who won't stop smoking: you've got to give the